Immigration Law Practitioners' Association
ILPA's Information Service provides information of interest in immigration, asylum and nationality law, policy and practice, and is designed for non-lawyers (although many lawyers also use the information). It is supported by funding from the Joseph Rowntree Charitable Trust, with additional support in respect of information sheets relating to refugee children from the Diana, Princess of Wales, Memorial Fund. We provide:
- Immigration updates on recent developments
- Information sheets with detailed information on specific issues (two pages in length)
- Seminars and presentations to NGOs and community organisations. See the links at the top left of this page for papers and notes prepared for previous workshops.
Updates and Information Sheets are sent out by email, as well as published here, and subscription is free. You are welcome to copy or disseminate them. Click here to Subscribe to the Information Service.
If you would like ILPA to provide a presentation or seminar, please contact the office by email to check capacity: firstname.lastname@example.org
Most Recent Immigration Updates
This update covers:
- The Immigration Act 2016 - commencement of new provisions
- ILPA best practice guide on statelessness and applications to remain
- Statement of Changes to Immigration Rules, 03 November 2016
- Immigration (European Economic Area) Regulations 2016
- Appeal fees for the First-tier Tribunal (Immigration and Asylum Chamber), update of 25 November 2016
- Supreme Court decision in Mirza and others on '3C leave' and invalid applications, 14 December 2016
It is published together with new information sheets on:
- 3C leave
- Overstayers - New Immigration Rules
- Family migration - new English language requirements for partners and parents applying for further leave under Appendix FM (5-year route)
- Statelessness and applications for leave to remain
These have been placed together on a separate page for ease of reference at: http://www.ilpa.org.uk/pages/immigration-act-2016-information.html (or use the navigation links at the top left of this page.
There are 15 information sheets in total. The first information sheet provides a general overview of the changes brought about by the Immigration Act 2016 and explains how and when its provisions enter into force. The subsequent information sheets provide further detail on each of the main provisions of the Immigration Act 2016. The information sheets were reviewed and updated on 01 November 2016 after the government issued a second commencement order bringing further provisions into force. The new page also contains seminars and presentations given by ILPA on the new provisions.
All other immigration updates published by the Information Service are available here.
Legal Aid Monitoring Sheets
We have two monitoring sheets, one for legal representatives and one for NGOs, to monitor and record details of people they are unable to help due to the changes to legal aid. They can be used for your own purposes and/or also ILPA will be delighted to receive any that you do complete or even part complete. The forms can be found here.
Recent additions to the Information Service
Information Sheets provide general information only, accurate as at the date of the Information Sheet. Law, policy and practice may change over time. Information Sheets are not a substitute for advice on individual cases and it is a criminal offence to give advice on immigration matters in the course of a business, whether or not for profit, unless appropriately regulated to do so.
6 January 2017
Immigration update 71
6 January 2017
Information sheet: Overstayers - New Immigration Rules
6 January 2017
Information sheet: 3C leave
15 November 2016
Immigration Act 2016: Seminar for Lawworks, 13 November 2016